Spice up a Southern cheese straw by changing the shape and adding a sweet and sassy kick with Hot Honey.
Hot Honey Cheese Wafers
(sharp cheddar cheese, cayenne + hot honey)
Makes 40-60 wafers
What you need:
2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (not pre-shredded)
8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons Savannah Bee Company Hot Honey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
What to do:
1. Wash Up.
2. Prepare the dough: In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cheese, butter, and honey together. Mix in the salt, cayenne, black pepper, and garlic powder. Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until the ingredients are well combined and a dough forms. You may need to add a bit more or reduce a bit.
3. Shape the dough for cutting: Shape the dough into two 1-inch diameter logs. Wrap in parchment or plastic wrap. Twist the ends and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375º F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Cut wafers: Cut the log into 1/8-inch-thick slices and place 1/4" apart on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake wafers: Bake until light golden brown (about 15 minutes). Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
To Serve: Hot Honey Cheese wafers make a great addition to a charcuterie board. Stand them up in a pretty glass or spread around your board to add interest. Will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Table Talk: What’s your biggest “unpopular opinion” in your friend group?