These soft pretzel bites are exactly what your game day needs. Naturally, they are delicious warm, but are just as amazing served a few hours later while you are tailgating.
Soft Pretzel Bites with Hot Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
(traditional soft pretzels with a kick)
What you need:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons Savannah Bee Company® Hot Honey
1 package active dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 - 5 cups All Purpose Flour
3 quarts water
1/4 cup baking soda for boiling the pretzels
1 whole egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt
Hot Honey Mustard
(honey mustard with a sting)
Makes about 1/2 cup
What you need:
1/8 cup Savannah Bee Company® Hot Honey
1/8 cup Spicy Brown Mustard
2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Savannah Bee Company® Honey Hot Sauce
2 teaspoon yellow mustard
Combine all ingredients with a whisk in a small bowl.
What to do:
1. Wash Up!
2. Make Pretzel Dough: Combine the 1 ½ cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands. Oil a bowl with avocado oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 425°F. And bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan or large pot over high heat and carefully add the baking soda. It will boil over and splatter slightly, so pour slowly! (Don’t worry, it cleans up easily!)
4. Shape Pretzel Bites: Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 to 4 ½ ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring roughly 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into 2 inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
5. Boil Pretzel Bites: Boil the pretzels in the water solution in batches of roughly 10-15 pieces at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds, moving the pieces slowly with a spoon constantly. Remove with a large, slotted spoon.
6. Bake Pretzel Bites: Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that is prepared with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Make the Hot Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce while your bites are baking and set aside.
To Serve: Let stand 5 minutes before serving warm with Hot Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.