Old-fashioned dinner rolls that can be made ahead and baked just before dinner service. Slather with a little honey butter at the end and you have gone to heaven.
Honey Glazed Dinner Rolls
(yeast rolls + honey butter glaze)
yields 16 rolls
What you need:
1 cup whole milk, warmed to approximately 100-110º F.
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1/3 cup Savannah Bee Company® Orange Blossom Honey (plus 1/2 teaspoon for yeast)
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups bread flour
Honey Butter Topping:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, very soft
2 tablespoons Honey
What to do:
1. Wash Up!
2. Prep Yeast: Pour warm milk into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Sprinkle yeast and 1/2 teaspoon honey on top of the milk. Give it a light stir with a spoon, and let it rest for 5 minutes. The mixture should be frothy after 5 minutes.
3. Mix Dough: With the stand mixer running on low speed, add the honey, egg, egg yolk, melted butter, salt, and 3 cups of flour. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then add remaining flour. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. The dough should be thick and only a little sticky. It should pull away from the sides of the bowl as it mixes. When it does, it is ready to knead. If, however, the dough is too sticky to handle– add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. Proof Dough: Form dough into a ball and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes, then place into a greased bowl. Turn the dough over to coat all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in a warm area to rise until doubled in size (about 2 hours).
5. Shape Dinner Rolls: Once doubled in size, punch down the dough to release any air bubbles. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down again to release any more air bubbles if needed. Cut the dough in half. Cut each half into 8 equal pieces for a total of 16 golf ball size pieces. Shape into balls and arrange in a greased 9×13 baking pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size and puffy, about 1 hour.
6. Bake Rolls and Prep Honey Butter: Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for 18-21 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the edges of each roll look cooked. While the rolls bake, mix the topping ingredients together to make a creamy honey butter. When you remove the finished rolls from the oven, brush a generous amount of honey butter onto each warm roll.
To Serve: Serve warm, there’s nothing else to say.
Pro Tip: You can make these ahead of time! After step 3, punch down the dough inside the mixing bowl and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or for up to 48 hours. To use, continue with step 4.