Cat Head Biscuits are so named because they are as big as a cat's head.
No cats were harmed in the making of these savory biscuits.
Honey and Herb Cathead Biscuits
(fresh herbs, buttermilk, sour cream + honey)
makes 9-12 large biscuits
What you need:
7 1⁄2 cups cake flour
1⁄4 cup finely chopped rosemary
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1⁄4 cup Savannah Bee Company® Rosemary Honey
1 (5.6oz) container Savannah Bee Company® Raw Honeycomb for garnish
What to do:
1. Wash Up!
2. Prep Oven: Heat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Mix Dry Ingredients: Whisk together flour, rosemary, baking powder, thyme, salt, baking soda, and pepper in a large bowl; add butter by grating chilled butter into your dry mixture using a box grater. Mix to distribute butter evenly.
4. Finish Dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, and honey. Add mixture to dry ingredients and stir together with a fork JUST until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! They will seem dry, but as you work the dough it will come together with the heat from your hands. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat out to a 1/2-inch thickness.
5. Cut Out Biscuits: Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits and transfer to the prepared baking sheet, arranging them so their edges touch. Gently combine scraps and continue to cut out biscuits until all the dough is used. Gently press the center of each biscuit with three fingers to prevent doming.
6. Bake Biscuits: Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
To Serve: Serve biscuits warm topped with pieces of raw honeycomb, drizzled with honey and finished with thyme leaves.