A burger fit for the keeper of Queens. Ted Dennard (founder and Head Beekeeper of Savannah Bee Company) loves a smash burger, so it was only fitting that we make him his very own burger with a sting!
Big Ted Smash Burger
(all beef patty, American cheese, pickles, + honey hot sauce)
Makes 4 (double ¼-pound) burgers
What you need:
For the burger:
2 pounds ground beef
3 tablespoons avocado oil, plus more for the pan.
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 red onion, caramelized
1 tablespoon butter
1 head romaine, shredded
8 slices American cheese
Sweet Heat Pickles
For the Big Ted Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Savannah Bee Company® Honey Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
What to do:
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. (We use a seasoned cast iron skillet)
- Make the burger patties: In a large bowl, combine ground beef, avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly and create 8 equal-sized balls. Create your patties in a flat, rounded shape roughly the size of your bun. Keep thickness uniform for the best possible SMASH!
- Make the Big Ted Sauce: In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, Honey Hot Sauce, ketchup, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add more Honey Hot Sauce to taste.
- Smash the burgers: Add about a tablespoon avocado oil to a cast iron skillet heated to medium-high. Place your burgers into the pan leaving enough room to smash the burgers. Using a heavy spatula, SMASH your burger flat! After about 2 minutes, your burger should be ready to flip. If you cannot easily remove the burger from the pan, give it another minute. Flip your burger and cover with American cheese. After 2-3 minutes, remove the burgers from the pan and repeat until all 1/4-pound patties have been smashed.
- Build the burgers: Spread Big Ted Sauce on the bottom and top bun. Layer a generous number of Sweet Heat Pickles, the cheese-covered burger, caramelized onions, and repeat. Top with shredded lettuce, place the bun on top, give it another little smash to get all the flavors going, and serve!
Pro Tip! Toast your buns in the hot pan for a few seconds once the burgers are all cooked for a delicious and warm bun that has an extra layer of flavor from the pan juices!