This is one of my favorite desserts that always seems to satisfy my sweet spots. I modified the traditional “Carrot Cake” recipe so that the Acacia honey cream cheese frosting was the start of the show. Summer is about relaxing and enjoying a pause in the annual chaos of our personal and professional day to day lives. Vacations and cookouts are generally frequent around this time of year, so having a sweet and nutritious recipe that can serve your family is an important staple in pulling a great summer meal together. People are probably wondering where the chopped nut topping went, but because I have an allergy to nuts, that was one of the first aspects I decided modified. You can use ½ cup of chopped walnuts to re-adopt the more traditional carrot cake recipe.
For Carrot Cake
(Using a 12x8x2 Pan) although I modified my recipe to serve more.
- 1/2 cup – softened butter or margarine
- 1 cup – Savannah Bee Acacia honey
- 2 – eggs
- 2 cups – finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup – golden raisins
- 1/2 cup – chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup – orange juice
- 2 teaspoons – vanilla
- 1 cup – whole wheat flour
- 1 cup – unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons – baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons – ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1/2 teaspoon – ground ginger
- 1/4 Tablespoon – ground nutmeg
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- ¼ soften butter
- ¼ cup of Savannah Bee Acacia honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of orange or lemon zest
Putting it together
For Carrot Cake
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in honey in a fine stream until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine carrots, raisins, nuts, orange juice and vanilla, set aside. Combine dry ingredients; set aside. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with carrot mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Turn batter into greased 12x8x2-inch pan. Bake at 350°F 35 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn onto wire cake rack.
- Whip cream cheese until soft, add butter, blend.
- Add remaining ingredients and whip till smooth and creamy.
- Spread on cake or muffins, or whatever you’re using it for. I used a 9-inch circular baking pan and made a cake.
- Drizzle with Savannah Bee Rosemary honey for a complex, herbaceous lift to your cream cheese frosting!
Submitted By: Jared Jackson
Jared Jackson is a blogger, food writer, and incredible cook! This Acacia honey Carrot Cake completes Jared’s July full dinner selection. Jared prepared an appetizer, main course, and desert for us this month using our international honey collection. We look forward to Jared’s August trio which will highlight our Southern honey collection; Orange Blossom honey, Tupelo honey, and Georgia Wildflower honey!
Check out the other recipes in his July International Honey series!
Appetizer – Lavender Honey and Herbed Goat Cheese Spread
Main Course – Hamburgers with Rosemary Honey and Georgia Peach Chutney
Dessert – Acacia Honey Carrot Cake (above)