Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate juice*
- 1/2 cup Savannah Bee Company Tupelo Honey, plus 3 Tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 game hens, split in half
- Salt and pepper
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- Chopped, roasted pistachio nuts, for garnish
Mix pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup honey and next 5 ingredients; pour over hens. Marinate, covered, overnight or at least 8 hours in the refrigerator, turning occasionally. Drain hens, reserving marinade. Simmer marinade, covered for 10 minutes; reserve. Season hens with salt and pepper. Bake at 450°F, basting frequently with reserved marinade, until hens are just firm to the touch, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven; let rest covered with a tea towel for 5 minutes. Brush each half with 1/2 Tablespoon honey. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios. * For 1 cup of juice, put 1-1/2 to 2 cups seeds in a blender; process until liquified. Pour mixture through cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve.
Recipe courtesy of the National Honey Board.